Sunday, May 10, 2009

Cooking!

Being that I am a working wife and mother, sometimes I feel like there just isn't enough time in a day. One of the things that tend to take up most of my time it seems, is dinner. So, as some of you know, I am taking a different approach to cooking. I make up a menu, or dishes that I want to eat that month, make out a grocery list based on the food I pick out, print out coupons, and hit the grocery store. I am finding that we are eating much healthier, spending less money, and spending more time together. I usually do this over a weekend because it usually takes me all day Saturday and sometimes Sunday to make up all the food and freeze it. I just decide a day or two in advance what we would like to eat, and pull it out of the freezer to thaw. For some of the dishes, I found it was better to prepare them and bake them after I unfreeze it. I am beginning to realize that I like to cook a lot more than I thought I did. Rygh and Will are being wonderful at trying all of the food I am making. (Vegetarian dishes and all)

In combination with making food for the family, I have been making my own soups for my lunch. I was getting tired of Turkey noodle soup, so I decided to branch out. I made an incredible batch of Tomato, Butternut Squash, and Herb soup.

I was able to get 11 servings of soup from one batch.
Will likes to joke about all of this is helping me prepare for "the jungle". I laugh, but he is probably right. Knowing that I can make food that isn't from a can or box is a good thing.

No comments: